I LOVE shopping, like most women, but I have to be honest and say that I am more of an online shopper. After working years of retail management for big box retailers and specialty stores, shopping in-store is not always relaxing for me, which is why I started an online boutique myself. Even though I prefer to shop online, wedding dress shopping is an experience you ABSOLUTELY have to do in person. The interactive experience of trying on a dress, and knowing when you've found "The one", is a priceless moment that you do not want to miss out on.
Personal Recommendation: If you live in the Charlotte, North Carolina area, I'd highly recommend Ladies of Lineage Bridal Boutique. Tell them Majesty sent you!
5 Tips for Wedding Dress Shopping
- Before shopping, research bridal salons, read reviews, and ask newlyweds where they got their dress from. This greatly helped me narrow down my selection for which shops I wanted to make appointments with. Ladies of lineage was a referral from a coworker and they had great online reviews.
- Bring images of wedding dress inspirations to your appointment. Before my appointment, I searched through Pinterest and created a board of wedding dress styles that I loved. I showed my bridal consultant my board, which gave her a clear example of the style of dress that I was looking for. Feel free to also use bridal magazines, websites and blogs for inspiration.
- Trust your consultant. My consultant asked me questions about my style, my wedding theme, my personality, and my family. Based on my responses, she pulled a wild card dress that ended up being the dress that I purchased.
- Come with a specific budget in mind. This will keep you from falling in love with a dress that is way over budget. A good consultant won't even allow you to try on a dress over your budget.
- Be selective about who you bring along with you to your appointment. Most bridal salons will welcome you along with a few guest. Take trusted companions who will keep you calm, give you honest and supportive feedback, yet not overwhelm you. I wanted to avoid a "Say yes to the dress" meltdown moment, so I had only two girlfriends with me at my appointments so i would not feel overwhelmed.